Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The Art of Complaining

I think I have made complaining a new form of art.  It is quite a thing to behold.  I think I could replace the commercial that says "There's an app for that" to "There's a complaint for that".  If the dishes don't magically clean themselves, if my well and able-bodied children don't jump at the opportunity to do their own laundry, if my incredibly witty plans don't match up with the hubby's ideas, and on and on and on goes my list.  I could probably list over a hundred things right now that just don't suit me at the moment and feel pretty justified in doing so.

Most of these things I would never voice out loud, because guess what?  Did I mention that I can't stand people who complain all the time????  I know, right?  Aren't they just the most obnoxious people that you can't wait to get away from???  People that just can't be happy no matter what drive me nuts, but somehow my own complaints which only myself and God can hear are o.k.  with me.  Probably not to God, but sometimes I actually enjoy a good complaining fest.

Every now and then, God puts a stop to my beautiful collage of complaints and he did that for me today.  I woke up with the sore throat and cough that all my other family members have been suffering through for the past month.  I woke up to dishes that didn't magically do themselves over night.  I loaded the dishwasher without a complaint (out loud that is) and went to close the door and the latch wouldn't shut.  I tried again and it wouldn't shut.  This meant that my dishwasher wasn't going to run and my dishes were definitely not going to be magically cleaned!  I put my head against the counter and was ready to have a good old fashioned pity fest.  Then I felt God remind me of the news that I first woke up to.

Every morning my hubby turns on the morning news around 6 am.  The gentle noise gradually brings me out of my sleep.  This morning it was all about the deep freeze that has over taken our area and a good portion of the country. People are dying out in the cold.  I may have a cold and a dishwasher on the fritz, but for goodness sake I have a roof over my head, pipes that haven't burst and a heater that works.

Did you know that all through the book of Exodus and Numbers, God said that he could hear the Children of Israel grumble and complain?  Did you know that it was also pretty obvious that God didn't like it at all?  It goes without saying that God probably doesn't appreciate my complaining any better.  As a matter of fact I probably get on His nerves pretty badly sometimes, but unlike the rest of polite society, He isn't afraid to tell me my artwork stinks!  (Philippians 2:14 Do all things without complaining or disputing NKJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment