Thursday, December 20, 2012

Time to .....

My church is located in the heart of downtown Pottstown, Pennsylvania.  It sounds quaint, doesn't it?  Unfortunately, downtown Pottstown is not really quaint.  Right next to our church is a huge abandoned building.  You can see right through the back wall into the building.  Behind the church is an alley way where two people were stabbed not so long ago.  A block away is one of the biggest drug areas around.  Right across the street is a half way house for people recovering from drug addictions.  The surrounding streets have row homes and apartments filled with people struggling to make ends meet.  There are two senior high rise buildings, home to the elderly and disabled who are on a fixed and very limited income.  And I can't forget about the mentally disabled people.  Some live with care takers, some in group homes, and some should definitely be placed in permanent care facilities.  Finally hiding on the outskirts  of town at night, yet clearly visible in town during the day, are the homeless.  The homeless are made up of people that once fit into any of the previously mentioned categories of people and places.  

I guess this sounds a bit depressing.  This would definitely not go onto a Pottstown Area brochure.   Back to my original thought; my church is right in the heart of all of this.  On any given Sunday, you can find any and all of these kinds of people.  Guess what?  My church is not at all depressing and I have found that these people are beautiful.  I have also found that while money food and clothing are important and can help alleviate some physical needs and immediate problems, sometimes real help comes from the investment of time.  The time to tell someone personally that God loves them and that you love them too.  Time to shake someone's hand or give them a hug.  Time to actually listen and become someone's friend.  In the past nine years Pottstown Bible Church has been in existence, I have had the privilege to make some really neat friends.    Over the next few weeks, I think I am going to try to give snap shots of some of the people of downtown Pottstown.  Some stories are amazing and others are heart wrenching and I think maybe they need to be heard.  More to follow...


If I have piqued your interest donating your time and/or your resources, here is a list of links of ministries and organizations that are helping in Pottstown.

pottstownbible.org (food pantry, weekly Sunday meal, mentoring, worship services)

www.ministriesatmainstreet.org (shelter and other resources)

pottstowncluster.org (food pantry, household items, clothing, organization of community meals)

ttlm.org (back pack/food ministry to children of the Pottstown school district)

3 comments:

  1. Amazing, beautiful, raw truth. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was beautiful,honest and just plain precious.It brought a tear to my eye and a sparkle to my soul.

    ReplyDelete