Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Happy Birthday Mom

Today is my mother's birthday.  About sixteen years ago a good friend of mine taught a short seminar about writing a tribute to honor your parents.  I have been thinking about doing this for sixteen years.  I have also been wanting to write for longer than that, so it is fitting that my first blog is a tribute to my Mom.  By the way, did I mention that I am a procrastinator?


For Mom:

I want to thank God for giving me the mother that I have.  She is a mother of two, the first born daughter in a family of six children.  She is beautiful, strong, courageous and fiercely loyal.  

My mother has worked hard every day of her life.  When I was growing up, she once worked three jobs to make sure that my brother and I had a roof over our heads and food on our table.  We didn't have much back then, but we had everything we needed.  She struggled silently, without complaint and mysteriously made every Christmas and birthday an amazing event.

My mother has taught me to be concerned for other people.  Over the years she has allowed others to live in her home, she has taken care of her clients that have no family of their own and she has taken care of her own parents in their waning years of life.  

My mother has taught me to be a strong, independent woman with a mind of her own.  She has also taught me to know when to compromise and how to roll with the punches.  She has had to start over many times in her life and in her career and she has never faltered or shown fear.    She is a woman born far ahead of her time. 

My mother has taught me that love is far more than words.  Actions are everything.  If there is a need, fill it.  If there is work to be done, don't wait for someone else to come along, get it done and for goodness sake do it RIGHT!

Thank you my dear mother for everything that you are and all that you do.  Thank you for your example and your strength.  Thank you for loving me even when I didn't deserve it.  You are the best mother I could have ever asked for.  Happy Birthday!






2 comments: